Location: Dushanbe, Tajikistan with frequent travel to Afghanistan and Central Asia
Application Deadline: 26-Dec-17 (Midnight New York, USA)
Time left: 13d 23h 59m
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: 130 working days during 6 months
Expected Duration of Assignment: January-June 2018
The Border Management in Northern Afghanistan Project (BOMNAF II) aims to support cross-border security and cooperation by improving the ability of the Afghanistan Border Police to practice Integrated Border Management in northern Afghanistan. This will improve cross-border cooperation, the capacity to reduce crime, and improve legal trade, travel, and commerce along Afghanistan’s border with Central Asia. It will also contribute to mutual trust, regional development, conflict resolution and prevention, and enhanced human security, as well as to indirectly enhance and expand economic development on both sides of the border. This will be achieved by building capacity through the provision of infrastructure, training and equipment to the Afghan Border Police deployed on Afghanistan’s northern frontier.
The Border Management Northern Afghanistan (BOMNAF) II project is a three-year initiative that commenced in July 2014. In June 2017, the project was granted a No Cost Extension for additional one year until June 2018. The Project’s field activities focus around the three activity areas of Infrastructure Construction, Equipment Supply and Training Delivery to Afghan Border Police (ABP) and Afghan Customs Department (ACD) personnel on Afghanistan’s Northern borders with Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan.
Duties and Responsibilities
Goals and objectives:
EU Border Management Northern Afghanistan seeks a qualified candidate to the position of International Engineering Specialist, who, within the project framework will be responsible for construction component of BOMNAF II Project.
BOMNAF II Project as continuation of Cross-border Security and Cooperation initiative is planning to construct several border facilities in order to improve serving conditions of Afghan Border Police units along the northern border of Afghanistan and put the basis on cross-border economic activities between Afghanistan and other Central Asia countries.
Within the construction component of the project, under the supervision of Project Manager (in case of absence Deputy Project Manager), the International Engineering Specialist will be responsible for preparing required documentation for initiating of bidding process for construction, monitoring and evaluation of contracted companies, certifying of works done as well as working out improvements, through integrating energy efficient technologies to design of projects.
The incumbent will be reporting directly to the Project Manager (in case of absence Deputy Project Manager) and will be responsible for coordination of all BOMNAF II construction activities to ensure that it is planned and executed according to specifically designed drawings and timeframe, to ensure a uniform high standard of construction is achieved.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Overall coordination of all border construction projects in Afghanistan with special focus on project and contract management;
- Frequent Monitoring and Evaluation visits to construction sites on the Afghan side of the international border, to conduct thorough inspections of on-going projects and ensure Quality Control
- Systems and Safety Plans are adhered to; Monitor project activities and evaluate against work plans, outputs and outcomes defined in the project document; identify problems and make appropriate and timely solutions;
- Supervision of contractors in the areas of monitoring, change order, contract compliance, quality control and documentation of all interactions; Regular coordination meetings with contractors;
- Ensure contractors maintain contract schedules;
- Verification of quality and quantity of construction works executed and ensure that each segment of every project is completed to satisfactory standards before any payment is authorized;
- Check and certify requests for payment from contracted construction companies and make appropriate recommendation to the Project Management and UNDP Finance Unit;
- Review and edit to improve existing building designs, blueprints and bill of quantities prepared by the project, and present to related Project staff;
- Conduct feasibility study of beneficiary’s infrastructure needs and priorities along the Northern borders of Afghanistan;
- Prepare ToR’s for engaging design consultancy firms for conducting topography survey of the project sites and for preparing designs, drawings & BOQs of the required infrastructures;
- Liaise with the design consultancies engaged by the project for design of projects and provide feedbacks/comments whenever required;
- Facilitate handing over of construction sites to the contracted companies;
- Perform technical and financial analysis of received bids for construction sites;
- Establish effective working relationship with appropriate departments of the Border services and other associated national institutions as required by the nature of the project component;
- Ensure project beneficiaries are aware of the proper use and maintenance of provided facilities;
- Maintain a proper filing system related to the Project’s construction works;
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Project Management.
For detailed information, please refer to annex 1- Terms of Reference of the below link.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Civil Engineering /construction.
- At least ten years of professional work experience in construction with a focus on design, standardization, monitoring and oversighting with five years minimum practical experience in context of developing countries. Experience working in Tajikistan and Afghanistan is desirable;
- Excellent understanding of Civil Engineering with the focus on border infrastructure;
- Experience working with International and local construction and building standards related to infrastructure, structural and civil engineering;
- Proficiency with Information Technology, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), competency in using web based management systems and the use of CAD software;
- Good knowledge of national and local government institutions and infrastructure, as well as the ability to work directly with stakeholders, other external agencies and beneficiaries, etc.
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills; Fluency in written and spoken English language is essential; working knowledge of local languages is a strong asset.
Open UNDP's official website link and apply there: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_lang=en&cur_job_id=76238
Please follow the link to the Individual Consultant Procurement Notice: http://www.undp.tj/va/upload/va/ICPN_International%20Engineer.docx
If you are experiencing difficulties with online job applications, please contact email@example.com.